Fluoride is a natural element found in the crust of the earth. It is a mineral also found in the body, such as in the enamel and bone. The low levels or deficiency of fluoride ions in the body can cause side effects.
Many dental experts suggest an adequate amount of fluoride ion in the body is required to keep the enamel, bones, and other body parts healthy. There are many dentist in Wichita Falls, TX, that are offering preventive fluoride treatments. So, if you find any white spots, discoloration, or other changes in your body, especially in your teeth, visit a dentist today.
Fluoride is essential?
The leading health experts from America state that for more than 70 years, tap water contains trace amounts of fluoride ions. The presence of these ions confirms their importance in our everyday life. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that including fluoride in the diet can reduce the incidence of tooth decay.
So fluoride ion is essential, though in small amounts, but is required, so try to include the elements containing a good amount of this mineral. One can use fluoridated toothpaste and drink water properly to avoid the deficiency of fluoride ions.
Benefits of fluoride treatment
Various benefits of the fluoride treatment are as follows:
- It helps regulate other elements in the body, such as calcium and phosphate. In addition, it can also help in repairing the enamel organ of the body.
- Fluoride ions can strengthen the enamel, bones, and other body parts. It can reduce the incidence of bacterial and viral infections in the body.
- It can reverse and slow down the process of tooth decay in the oral cavity.
To sum up, the significant benefits of fluoride ions are given below.
- It can reduce the risk of cavity formation.
- Slow bacterial growth in the oral cavity.
- It can provide the required strength to milk the teeth of the babies.
- It can prevent the incidence of gum disease.
- Fluoride ions can also reduce toothache.
Are there any side effects of fluoride?
A fluoride ion, when taken excessively, can cause fluorosis. This condition can be of two types, i.e., dental and skeletal fluorosis. Other side effects of fluoride ion consumption include:
- Discoloration of tooth
- Cardiovascular disease
The American Dental Association states that every child should be exposed to professional fluoride varnish treatment before six years of age. This treatment must be included in the oral health regimen of kids below six years of age to protect the tooth for the rest of their lives. Proper care of the child must be taken during the treatment to avoid side effects like nausea, vomiting, and headaches.