Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic procedure in dentistry. The desire to look good and healthy is something every individual craves for. Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with a naturally beautiful smile. Teeth whitening treatments come to your rescue to overcome such challenges.
The team of dental care for your family in Burlington, ON, offers high-quality tooth bleaching methods, leaving you with a radiant and sparkling smile.
Understanding the science behind teeth whitening
Teeth whitening is a simple, non-invasive dental procedure that involves altering the shade of your natural teeth to enhance your smile and improve your facial aesthetics. It is an excellent cosmetic procedure with high success rates. There are two most effective teeth whitening systems: the professional chairside whitening and the at-home whitening trays.
The process involves using active bleaching agents such as carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. The active oxygen molecules in the whitening agent can penetrate the teeth’ enamel and react with the discolored molecules that cause tooth discoloration. This spreads the active molecules and whitens the entire tooth while keeping the enamel safe.
Indications of teeth whitening
Your dentist may recommend teeth whitening for tooth discoloration, which is a result of the following:
- Normal aging process which erodes the enamel surface and exposes the yellowish dentin layer underneath
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Certain foods and drinks like berries, red curry, tea, coffee, or red wine
- Dental fluorosis (white spots on the tooth surface due to increased levels of fluorides)
- Certain medications like tetracyclines or antihistamines
The procedure involved in teeth whitening
Your dentist may recommend either at-home whitening or in-office methods depending on the degree of stains and your personal preference.
- Your dentist will record full mouth impressions and send them to the lab
- Your lab technician will fabricate customized clear acrylic teeth-whitening trays
- You will be provided with a take-home kit of peroxide whitener, which should be placed inside the tray
- You are advised to wear the tray for 30 to 45 minutes twice daily or overnight based on the strength of the whitening agent
- This method involves coating your gums with a protective gel and applying a highly concentrated whitening agent to your teeth
- The gel is targeted either through UV, laser, or LED light to activate it
- The process takes around 15 minutes and is repeated at regular intervals until the desired results are achieved.
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments, offering a quick, noninvasive, and affordable way to enhance your smile. However, it is not a permanent solution and requires “touch-ups” for a prolonged effect.